Pokémon GO is looking for a skilled staff software engineer. This role drives backend architecture, ensuring that the studio meets engineering commitments of quality and efficiency.
We are seeking an individual to develop the architecture of backend services for Pokémon GO and help define and execute technical processes across all of engineering at Niantic. You will work closely with engineers to ensure solutions are high quality and scalable while helping level up the Niantic engineering organization through guiding best practices, documentation, and mentor engineers on technical solutions. You will represent the Pokémon GO team to vendors and development partners, as well as to internal teams and operate directly with studio engineering director and managers.
Pokémon GO is a 1st party development studio within Niantic. This role will help define the strategy and architecture integration with respect to the Niantic Lightship platform. Specifically, you will help determine how engineering uses and intersects with supporting, shared service technology teams including AR, Social, Geo, Identity, Security, etc.
- Work with a team of engineers, designers, game designers, and producers to execute on a creative vision and deliver robust, efficient, and modular back-end systems and services.
- Build robust, low-latency, scalable systems that support Pokémon Go.
- Perform load testing, participate in code reviews, write unit tests, and conduct troubleshooting to ensure uptime for live systems.
- Work with external partners to architect and integrate multiple sophisticated systems together in a collaborative way.
- Deliverables and traits:
- Develop, adapt, and execute long-term technical strategy to achieve key business objectives.
- Works as part of the PGO engineering leadership team with cross functional partners in Business, Art & Design, Production and Marketing to develop and deliver on technology to improve Pokemon Go.
- Drives a culture of experimentation and improvement when it comes to tools, technology, and process in engineering.
- Exemplary leader, mentor, and colleague.
- Ability to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical team members across a variety of disciplines and teams within the company.
- Adapts to changing priorities with ease.
- BS in Computer Science or other technical major, or equivalent experience.
- 8+ years of experience building highly scalable, low latency, highly responsive interactive applications.
- Expert in Java, C#, or other OOP languages.
- Proficient in data storage technologies such as PostgreSQL, DynamoDB.
- Experience with cloud hosting providers, such as Google Cloud, Azure or AWS.
- Experience with setting up multi-region, distributed systems.
- Previous experience in the gaming industry - mobile and/or games-as-a-service.
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic is the world’s leading AR technology company, sparking creative and engaging journeys in the real world. Our products inspire outdoor exploration, exercise, and meaningful social interaction.
Originally formed at Google in 2011, we became an independent company in 2015 with a strong group of investors including Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, and Alsop Louie Partners. Our current consumer titles include pioneering global-control game Ingress, record-breaking AR game Pokémon GO, and Harry Potter:Wizards Unite. Our developer platform, Lightship, launches soon.
Niantic is an Equal Opportunity employer. We believe that cultivating a workplace where our people are supported and included is essential to creating great products our community will love. Our mission emphasizes seeking and hiring diverse voices, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry, and we consider this to be one of the most important values we hold close.
We're a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity and a passion for problem-solving! We have growing offices located in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Bellevue, Los Angeles, London, Tokyo, Hamburg, and Zurich.