Niantic’s Engineering Team is seeking a Site Reliability engineer to ensure the availability of server infrastructure that supports the hosted AR/Geo platform underpinning projects such as Pokémon GO, Ingress, and Harry Potter: Wizards Unite. You will design and implement infrastructures to host and monitor our game servers and platform services, and conduct real-time root cause analysis of system anomalies at massive scales on servers hosting hundreds of millions of events per day.
- Build high-throughput, low-latency, highly available and scalable systems that host Niantic’s products.
- Design and implement monitoring and fault-tolerance systems for Java-based servers.
- Collaborate with other engineers to ensure that new and upgraded deployed systems meet internal standards for reliability, availability, latency, performance and cost.
- Develop tools to automate system provisioning, application deployment and configuration management. Participate in code reviews and conduct troubleshooting to ensure uptime for live systems.
- Participate in blameless incident post-mortems, identify lessons learned and take ownership of followup action items.
- BS in Computer Science or a similar major.
- 2+ years of experience monitoring or building production infrastructure with substantial traffic.
- Experience with scripting languages such as BASH, Python or Lua.
- Familiarity with Kubernetes and cloud platforms such as Google Cloud, Azure or AWS.
- You have experience with infrastructure management tools such as Terraform and Ansible.
- You have experience with real-time or asynchronous processing of large-scale datasets.
- You have experience with a compiled server-side language, such as C++, Go, Java or C#.
- You are familiar with one or more open source projects, such as Redis, Prometheus, Grafana, Jaeger, ElasticSearch, Kibana, Spinnaker, Envoy and Istio.
- You have experience mentoring other engineers or leading projects.
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic is the world’s leading AR technology company, sparking creative and engaging journeys in the real world. Our products inspire outdoor exploration, exercise, and meaningful social interaction.
Originally formed at Google in 2011, we became an independent company in 2015 with a strong group of investors including Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, and Alsop Louie Partners. Our current consumer titles include pioneering global-control game Ingress, record-breaking AR game Pokémon GO, and Pikmin Bloom. In November 2021, we launched our developer platform, Lightship, enabling creators to build immersive AR experiences around the globe.
Niantic is an Equal Opportunity employer. We believe that cultivating a workplace where our people are supported and included is essential to creating great products our community will love. Our mission emphasizes seeking and hiring diverse voices, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry, and we consider this to be one of the most important values we hold close.
We're a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity and a passion for problem-solving! We have growing offices located in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Bellevue, Los Angeles, New York, London, Tokyo, Hamburg, and Zurich.