Pokémon GO is looking for a skilled server engineer. A server engineer drives backend development for Pokémon GO, ensuring that the studio meets engineering commitments of quality and efficiency.
Pokémon GO is a 1st party development studio within Niantic. This role will help with integration of the Niantic Lightship platform. Specifically, this role will helping on implementing shared service technologies from platform teams including AR, Social, Geo, Identity, Security, etc.
- Work with a team of engineers, designers, game designers, and producers to execute on a creative vision and deliver robust, efficient, and modular back-end systems and services.
- Create robust, low-latency, scalable systems that support Pokémon Go.
- Perform load testing, participate in code reviews, write unit tests, and conduct troubleshooting to ensure uptime for live systems.
- Develop backend services and features for Pokémon GO.
- Help define and execute technical processes across Pokémon GO.
- Work closely with engineers to ensure solutions are high quality and scalable.
- Help level up the Niantic engineering organization through guiding best practices, documentation, and mentor engineers on technical solutions.
- Operate directly with studio engineering managers and partnering platform teams.
- Develop, adapt, and execute long-term technical strategy to achieve key business objectives.
- Works as part of the PGO engineering team with cross functional partners in Business, Art & Design, Production and Marketing to develop and deliver on technology to improve Pokemon Go.
- Ability to experiment and improve when it comes to tools, technology, and processes in engineering.
- Ability to communicate optimally with technical and non-technical team members across a variety of disciplines and teams within the company
- Adapts to changing priorities with ease.
- BS in Computer Science or other technical major, or equivalent experience.
- 3+ years of experience building highly scalable, low latency, highly responsive interactive applications.
- Fluent in Java, C#, or other OOP languages.
- Fluent in data storage technologies such as PostgreSQL, DynamoDB, Spanner.
- Experience with cloud hosting providers, such as Google Cloud, Azure or AWS.
- Previous experience in the gaming industry - mobile and/or games-as-a-service.
- Experience with multi-region, distributed systems.
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic is the world’s leading AR technology company, sparking creative and engaging journeys in the real world. Our products inspire outdoor exploration, exercise, and meaningful social interaction.
Originally formed at Google in 2011, we became an independent company in 2015 with a strong group of investors including Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, and Alsop Louie Partners. Our current consumer titles include pioneering global-control game Ingress, record-breaking AR game Pokémon GO, and Harry Potter:Wizards Unite. Our developer platform, Lightship, launches soon.
Niantic is an Equal Opportunity employer. We believe that cultivating a workplace where our people are supported and included is essential to creating great products our community will love. Our mission emphasizes seeking and hiring diverse voices, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry, and we consider this to be one of the most important values we hold close.
We're a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity and a passion for problem-solving! We have growing offices located in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Bellevue, Los Angeles, London, Tokyo, Hamburg, and Zurich.