Niantic’s Engineering Team is seeking a Senior Engineering Manager to lead the Core Game Features team that supports the hosted AR/Geo platform underpinning projects such as Pokémon GO, Ingress, and Pikmin Bloom, and future titles built on this platform. You will lead a team of engineers to design and implement core game features that will be used in all of our games as well as encapsulating those technologies behind easily understood, well-organized APIs to enable development of planet-scale AR experiences. We value managers who are respectful, empathetic, and who embrace the values of servant leadership and a diverse and inclusive workforce.
- You will mentor and grow each individual, give timely feedback, support their careers, as well as communicate long-term product and technical vision with the team.
- You will lead engineering design discussions, review and break down feature requirements, and actively participate in design and code reviews.
- You will collaborate with other specialists, product managers, engineering teams, and other departments to ensure design and implementation meet internal standards.
- You will make hands-on contributions to the implementation and testing, and conduct troubleshooting to ensure the software quality in live systems.
- Collaborate with cross-functional team members and stakeholders to cultivate strong working relationships with project team members, including regular and reliable attendance and participation in meetings.
- Bachelor or above in Computer Science or a similar major.
- 5+ years of experience building reliable and scalable platforms.
- 1+ years of experience mentoring other engineers or leading a project with more than 1 engineer.
- Familiarity with Kubernetes and cloud platforms such as Google Cloud, Azure or AWS.
- Experience troubleshooting live systems.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced hybrid environment and handle stress appropriately and/or ability to solve practical problems and be sufficiently adaptable to handle dynamic situations with little advance notice.
- Experience working on cross-functional teams with ability to communicate effectively through written and verbal communications, including synchronous interactions with others.
- You have managed teams with 3+ engineers.
- You have experience working on games or game platforms.
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic is the world’s leading AR technology company, sparking creative and engaging journeys in the real world. Our products inspire outdoor exploration, exercise, and meaningful social interaction.
Originally formed at Google in 2011, we became an independent company in 2015 with a strong group of investors including Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, and Alsop Louie Partners. Our current consumer titles include pioneering global-control game Ingress, record-breaking AR game Pokémon GO, and Pikmin Bloom. In November 2021, we launched our developer platform, Lightship, enabling creators to build immersive AR experiences around the globe. Niantic is an Equal Opportunity employer.
We believe that cultivating a workplace where our people are supported and included is essential to creating great products our community will love. Our mission emphasizes seeking and hiring diverse voices, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry, and we consider this to be one of the most important values we hold close.
Niantic is a hybrid first company. We believe that in person interaction and collaboration is good for Niantic’s culture, and critical to our future success as a company. We support flexibility and know new ways of working are here to stay.
We're a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity and a passion for problem-solving! We have growing offices located in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Bellevue, Los Angeles, New York, London, Tokyo, Hamburg, and Zurich. #LI-HYBRID