The Pokémon GO team is seeking a Senior Game Designer to help build compelling gameplay experiences that delight and engage our players. As a Senior Game Designer, you will be responsible for working across functions to craft Live Ops seasonal events and new game mechanics/systems from ideation to launch. You will take on a role to make features and decisions that use player experiences, feedback, and data. You will implement, test, and balance game rule changes during build reviews, feature launches, and economy adjustments. You will thoughtfully craft features that ensure Trainers continue to have fun and explore the real world.
- Communicate clearly to gain alignment within Pokémon Go’s cross functional teams to create design specifications from ideation to launch.
- Use data and player research to deliver concise documentation that includes cross functional support (wireframe, flows, supporting sheets).
- Create flexible, modular designs that will support a multitude of gameplay features.
- Advocate for “player first” designs and collaborate frequently with IP holders to ensure brand integrity.
- Work with leads and managers to identify new pitches and improvements.
- Build and test new and existing features to ensure they meet design requirements and company OKRs.
- Work with designers to ensure the quality of design and meets business goals of the feature.
- Inspire designers to be innovative by keeping up with industry trends and thinking of creative ways we can leverage Niantic’s emerging technology.
- Contribute to the culture of a supportive and cohesive design team.
- 5+ years of experience designing for live operation games, especially mobile games.
- 2+ years of experience mentoring designers.
- Extensive game development experience, has successfully shipped new game features.
- Experience working with original and brand IPs.
- Excellent skills in verbal and written communication across all game disciplines.
- Expertise with spreadsheets, data, and feature documentation for a live game.
- Experience with game balance, pacing, and monetizing virtual goods in a FTP model.
- Ability to deliver specs from concept to launch.
- Ability to adapt on a fast-paced team to drive and deliver results.
- Strong knowledge base of Pokémon GO and the general Pokémon franchise.
- Bilingual in both English and Japanese.
- Knowledge in JIRA and Unity.
- Leadership training certifications.
- Experience with AR games or features.
- Experience building tools.
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic is the world’s leading AR technology company, sparking creative and engaging journeys in the real world. Our products inspire outdoor exploration, exercise, and meaningful social interaction.
Originally formed at Google in 2011, we became an independent company in 2015 with a strong group of investors including Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, and Alsop Louie Partners. Our current consumer titles include pioneering global-control game Ingress, record-breaking AR game Pokémon GO, and Pikmin Bloom. In November 2021, we launched our developer platform, Lightship, enabling creators to build immersive AR experiences around the globe.
Niantic is an Equal Opportunity employer. We believe that cultivating a workplace where our people are supported and included is essential to creating great products our community will love. Our mission emphasizes seeking and hiring diverse voices, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry, and we consider this to be one of the most important values we hold close.
We're a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity and a passion for problem-solving! We have growing offices located in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Bellevue, Los Angeles, New York, London, Tokyo, Hamburg, and Zurich. #LI-HYBRID