Live events are at the core of Niantic products and highlight our real-world social experience at its best. Niantic is looking for a Live Events Network Connectivity Engineer to work on global events across all Niantic’s products. These include major worldwide location specific events such as Pokémon GO Festival, Tour and Safari Zones.
The ideal candidate will be able to prioritize work streams, communicate clearly, and have a consistent track record of delivery. They are proactive in identify risks, issues and bottlenecks while managing delivery of event network systems across multiple teams and regions.
As our network connectivity engineer, you will be working on building solutions for wireless technologies and ensuring outstanding, end-to-end reliable wireless network at our live Events. This includes 4G LTE, 5G NR as well as WiFi networks. This role requires travel to support our events onsite, working closely with our events team and vendors to build and deploy temporary networks and manage them for the duration of the event.
- Assess network connectivity needs for major Niantic live event initiatives around the world and develop deployment plans for network infrastructure.
- Manage relationships with cellular network partners globally to ensure sufficient support is provided at Niantic live events.
- Oversee on-site execution, recommending and evaluating the impact of new cells. Implementing various system performance improvement plans. Monitor and troubleshoot system problems.
- Partner with internal marketing and engineering teams to understand product roadmaps, anticipate technical needs and develop capacity plans for Niantic live events.
- Manage delivery of third-party services and products, including measuring individual vendor performance and holding teams accountable
- Analyze metrics and performance of event networks to drive players experience improvements.
- Frequent domestic and international travel.
- Minimum 5-7 years of relevant work experience years experience in cellular network design, capacity planning and performance improvement.
- In-depth knowledge of cellular radio standards GSM, UMTS, LTE, 5G NR
- Understanding of temporary network deployments, including trends, challenges, top technology solutions and workloads, leading technology vendors and partners, etc
- Knowledge of antenna characteristics or antenna system design and selection.
- Knowledge of frequency planning constraints and requirements.
- Experience with RF propagation tools and radio test equipment, as well as hands-on experience with end to end System Performance characterization/testing/tuning.
- Strong communication skills with an aptitude for relationship building.
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule, including weekends as necessary.
- Strong understanding of 802.11 technologies and IP protocols.
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic is the world’s leading AR technology company, sparking creative and engaging journeys in the real world. Our products inspire outdoor exploration, exercise, and meaningful social interaction.
Originally formed at Google in 2011, we became an independent company in 2015 with a strong group of investors including Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, and Alsop Louie Partners. Our current consumer titles include pioneering global-control game Ingress, record-breaking AR game Pokémon GO, and Pikmin Bloom. In November 2021, we launched our developer platform, Lightship, enabling creators to build immersive AR experiences around the globe.
Niantic is an Equal Opportunity employer. We believe that cultivating a workplace where our people are supported and included is essential to creating great products our community will love. Our mission emphasizes seeking and hiring diverse voices, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry, and we consider this to be one of the most important values we hold close.
We're a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity and a passion for problem-solving! We have growing offices located in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Bellevue, Los Angeles, New York, London, Tokyo, Hamburg, and Zurich.