We are on an ambitious mission to turn the world into an Augmented Reality canvas which games and other applications can paint on top of. This future is fully realized on AR Head Mounted Displays (HMDs). Niantic’s Engineering Team is seeking an inspirational leader to oversee the engineering direction to help build an AR operating system for HMDs and enable applications for millions of Niantic players. As our Head of AR OS, you will be responsible for growing and nurturing a diverse, inclusive, and collaborative work environment that allows our engineering teams to do their best work. You will take on a meaningful leadership role to recruit and lead multiple high-performing teams of engineers to connect our AR technology to AR Headsets.
- Manage and deliver on technical vision, strategy, and roadmap for the AR OS domain.
- Recruit top talent to build out a diverse team of managers and individual contributors.
- Work closely with leaders across the AR organization and external partners to drive our AR OS capabilities.
- Be hands-on in technical decisions across hardware and product teams.
- Actively manage the performance of managers and technical program managers through coaching, conducting regular 1:1s, and setting clear and actionable goals that help them advise their personal career goals and team goals in a way that aligns with the business needs.
- BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science, or a related technical field.
- You have experience working on real time operating systems, including kernel and graphics drivers.
- Minimum of five years leading engineering managers, and over ten years of engineering leadership experience managing software teams, including managing individual contributors across all levels, engineering managers, and tech leads.
- You have built systems that are highly scalable, secure, and performant using industry best practices.
- You have experience building and managing engineering teams at both public tech companies and startups, with a dedicated focus on diversity and sponsoring underrepresented people.
- You have experience working with open AR/VR standards (OpenXR).
- You have experience working with Android kernel or drivers.
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic is the world’s leading AR technology company, sparking creative and engaging journeys in the real world. Our products inspire outdoor exploration, exercise, and meaningful social interaction.
Originally formed at Google in 2011, we became an independent company in 2015 with a strong group of investors including Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, and Alsop Louie Partners. Our current titles include pioneering global-control game Ingress, record-breaking AR game Pokémon GO, and recently released third title, Harry Potter: Wizards Unite.
Niantic is an Equal Opportunity employer. We believe that cultivating a workplace where our people are supported and included is essential to creating great products our community will love. Our mission emphasizes seeking and hiring diverse voices, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry, and we consider this to be one of the most important values we hold close.
We're a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity and a passion for problem-solving! We have growing offices located in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Bellevue, Los Angeles, Tokyo, Hamburg, and Zurich.