As our General Counsel, you will serve as a member of Niantic's executive team and report into our Chief Executive Officer. You will oversee all legal, regulatory, compliance and public policy matters globally, and lead a large team of lawyers across Commercial, Corporate, Product Counsel, Privacy, IP, Employment, and Litigation.
Niantic Legal partners with teams across the company to develop solutions for the legal, compliance and public policy challenges (and opportunities!) the company encounters as it continues to develop innovative augmented reality experiences.
- Act as a strategic partner to the CEO and executive team members on legal, compliance, strategy, and operations at a global scale.
- Craft the strategy, vision, priorities and goals for legal, compliance and public policy teams in alignment with Niantic’s broader business objectives.
- Develop, build and lead the overall legal, public policy and compliance teams.
- Lead the team implementing core legal, compliance and public policy work around platform liability, privacy, IP, corporate governance, compliance, litigation and regulatory matters, commercial and strategic business transactions and labor and employment issues.
- Advise on legal aspects of corporate development, M&A and critical initiatives while driving cross-functional alignment.
- Ensure agreements align with Niantic’s business objectives, policies and risk tolerance.
- Advise Niantics on legal issues and risks, company policies and procedures, and negotiation strategy.
- Lead the design and continuous improvement of standard forms, training, legal processes and systems to help us scale with the business and enhance efficiency and velocity.
- Mitigate risk and provide business-oriented solutions across the company for complex, high-stakes matters in support of Niantic’s strategic roadmap.
- Partner with relevant local, state, federal and international government constituents.
- Collaborate with cross-functional team members and stakeholders to cultivate strong working relationships with project team members, including regular and reliable attendance and participation in meetings.
- 15+ years of legal experience, including 5+ years in-house legal team experience (preferably in Mobile Gaming, Technology) and 5+ years leading teams.
- Good business judgment, and a demonstrated ability to think strategically and creatively about proposed resolutions to legal problems and balancing of risk.
- J.D. degree from an accredited law school.
- Bar admission in current good standing, with a license to practice in at least one U.S. state.
- Experience advising c-suite executives and board members on a variety of legal matters.
- Experience working with diverse, cross-functional teams in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience with and proven interest in laws affecting mobile games, location-based services and / or augmented reality, including global privacy and data security, intellectual property, and content regulation.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced hybrid environment and handle stress appropriately and/or ability to solve practical problems and be sufficiently adaptable to handle dynamic situations with little advance notice.
- Experience working on cross-functional teams with ability to communicate effectively through written and verbal communications, including synchronous interactions with others.
- Passionate about technology and entertainment, especially for Niantic’s products.
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic is the world’s leading AR technology company, sparking creative and engaging journeys in the real world. Our products inspire outdoor exploration, exercise, and meaningful social interaction.
Originally formed at Google in 2011, we became an independent company in 2015 with a strong group of investors including Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, and Alsop Louie Partners. Our current consumer titles include pioneering global-control game Ingress, record-breaking AR game Pokémon GO, and Pikmin Bloom. In November 2021, we launched our developer platform, Lightship, enabling creators to build immersive AR experiences around the globe. Niantic is an Equal Opportunity employer.
We believe that cultivating a workplace where our people are supported and included is essential to creating great products our community will love. Our mission emphasizes seeking and hiring diverse voices, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry, and we consider this to be one of the most important values we hold close.
Niantic is a hybrid first company. We believe that in person interaction and collaboration is good for Niantic’s culture, and critical to our future success as a company. We support flexibility and know new ways of working are here to stay.
We're a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity and a passion for problem-solving! We have growing offices located in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Bellevue, Los Angeles, New York, London, Tokyo, Hamburg, and Zurich. #LI-HYBRID