We are on an ambitious mission to turn the world into an Augmented Reality canvas which games and other applications can paint on top of. This future is fully realized on AR Head Mounted Displays (HMDs).
Niantic is seeking a hands-on engineering leader to lead the development, integration and ongoing support of the core operating system components for the AR HMD. You will work with internal and external partners to define and build core product and system operations and to integrate them into a world class commercial product. You will be responsible for recruiting and nurturing an engineering team that collaboratively delivers new and innovative technology to our customers.
- Engineering managers at Niantic are still hands-on but spend the majority of their time focused on making their teams work better.
- Prioritize and plan the work of the team in close collaboration with your engineers, tech lead, product managers, technical program manager, and other teams across the organization.
- Mentor engineers on their day-to-day work and their career aspirations, conduct regular 1:1s for your reports, evaluate their performance and set measurable goals that help them grow in the work and move the team and company forward.
- Recruit and hire great talent for the team.
- Collaborate with the team to architect and design the software systems.
- A BSc in Electrical or Computer Engineering, Computer Science or other equivalent technical degree or proven experience.
- 5+ years of experience shipping commercial consumer applications and supporting them in production.
- Proven experience in applying Agile software development methodologies.
- Experience recruiting and building up an engineering team.
- Excellence in written and verbal communication of both technical and non-technical information to multiple levels of the organization.
- Experience in crafting performant C/C++ software in a constrained embedded environment.
- You have experience working with open computer vision and AR/VR standards (eg: OpenCV, OpenXR).
- You have shipped embedded devices based on Android and Linux such as phones, tablets or set top boxes.
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic is the world’s leading AR technology company, sparking creative and engaging journeys in the real world. Our products inspire outdoor exploration, exercise, and meaningful social interaction.
Originally formed at Google in 2011, we became an independent company in 2015 with a strong group of investors including Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, and Alsop Louie Partners. Our current consumer titles include pioneering global-control game Ingress, record-breaking AR game Pokémon GO, and Harry Potter:Wizards Unite. Our developer platform, Lightship, launches soon.
Niantic is an Equal Opportunity employer. We believe that cultivating a workplace where our people are supported and included is essential to creating great products our community will love. Our mission emphasizes seeking and hiring diverse voices, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry, and we consider this to be one of the most important values we hold close.
We're a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity and a passion for problem-solving! We have growing offices located in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Bellevue, Los Angeles, London, Tokyo, Hamburg, and Zurich.