We are on an ambitious mission to turn the world into an Augmented Reality canvas which games and other applications can paint on top of. This future is fully realized on AR Head Mounted Displays (HMDs).
We’re looking for an Engineering Manager for our efforts in Augmented reality on Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), who is a respectful and empathetic leader who is willing to go the extra mile for others, and cares about helping us create a diverse, inclusive workforce where we respect all and practice empathy at every opportunity.
You will manage the engineering team that builds the core on device AR services. In this role, you’ll work alongside product managers, engineers, researchers and cross-functional stakeholders throughout the company, and get a broad view of Niantic’s business and products. This is a great role for someone who has been deeply technical with experience managing highly-technical teams.
- Engineering managers at Niantic are still hands-on but spend the majority of their time focused on making their teams work better.
- Prioritize and plan the work of the team in close collaboration with your engineers, tech lead, product managers, technical program manager, and other teams across the organization.
- Coach engineers on their day-to-day work and their career aspirations, conduct regular 1:1s for your reports, and evaluate their performance and set actionable goals that help them grow in the work and move the team and company forward.
- Employ emotional intelligence to diffuse tensions and improve cross-team relations.
- Recruit and hire great talent for the team.
- Help shape the direction of our tech stack for augmented reality applications.
- Identify business and technological risks/opportunities from internal sources and crafts solutions/responses to them.
- 2+ years of experience working as an engineering manager.
- 5+ years of experience working as a software engineer with good experience facilitating the work of colleagues and at least 2 years of experience as a C++ developer.
- A BS, MS or PhD in Computer Science or other technical majors, or equivalent experience.
- Experience recruiting and building up an engineering team.
- Passion in entrepreneurial management in emerging technology especially in AR, mobile games, location-related technologies, matched with drive to roll up sleeves and tackle difficult problems.
- Excellence in written and verbal communication of both technical and non-technical information to multiple levels of the organization.
- Experience prototyping or programming AR applications.
- You have experience working with open computer vision and AR/VR standards (eg: OpenCV, OpenXR).
- Experience scaling machine learning or 3D geometry systems.
- You have shipped embedded devices based on Android and Linux such as phones, tablets or set top boxes.
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic is the world’s leading AR technology company, sparking creative and engaging journeys in the real world. Our products inspire outdoor exploration, exercise, and meaningful social interaction.
Originally formed at Google in 2011, we became an independent company in 2015 with a strong group of investors including Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, and Alsop Louie Partners. Our current consumer titles include pioneering global-control game Ingress, record-breaking AR game Pokémon GO, and Pikmin Bloom. In November 2021, we launched our developer platform, Lightship, enabling creators to build immersive AR experiences around the globe.
Niantic is an Equal Opportunity employer. We believe that cultivating a workplace where our people are supported and included is essential to creating great products our community will love. Our mission emphasizes seeking and hiring diverse voices, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry, and we consider this to be one of the most important values we hold close.
We're a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity and a passion for problem-solving! We have growing offices located in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Bellevue, Los Angeles, New York, London, Tokyo, Hamburg, and Zurich.