Niantic Labs, creator of Ingress and Pokémon GO, seeks a Concept Designer who is able to create unforgettable visuals which help us bring our ideas to life. Niantic is a fast-moving, multi-disciplinary team of software developers and creative professionals based in San Francisco, Seattle and Tokyo. You will be responsible for creating high quality concept designs using 2D and 3D graphics techniques to help merge the virtual with the real world.
- Quickly create and iterate on high quality concept design and sketches that will directly inform the project direction.
- Thoroughly research materials to support each project and build mood boards to communicate the visual intent.
- Create thumbnails, sketches, model sheets, and production quality paintings on schedule.
- Collaborate with production to implement the concepts into the game.
- Work closely with other members of the team to understand the overall implications of the design and user experience.
- Mastery of crafting detailed concept art, using both 2D and 3D techniques.
- Strong understanding of storytelling through imagery using composition, mood, and lighting.
- Ability to adapt to many different art styles/genres, from photorealism to stylized.
- Ability to concept creatures, characters, and props.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Expert-level experience with Maya (or equivalent program/s) and the Adobe Suite.
- Strong foundational artistic skills with an emphasis on form, shape, silhouette, scale, and materials.
- BA or equivalent degree in studio art or computer graphics-related field.
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic is the world’s leading AR technology company, sparking creative and engaging journeys in the real world. Our products inspire outdoor exploration, exercise, and meaningful social interaction.
Originally formed at Google in 2011, we became an independent company in 2015 with a strong group of investors including Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, and Alsop Louie Partners. Our current titles include pioneering global-control game Ingress, record-breaking AR game Pokémon GO, and recently released third title, Harry Potter: Wizards Unite.
Niantic is an Equal Opportunity employer. We believe that cultivating a workplace where our people are supported and included is essential to creating great products our community will love. Our mission emphasizes seeking and hiring diverse voices, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry, and we consider this to be one of the most important values we hold close.
We're a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity and a passion for problem-solving! We have growing offices located in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Bellevue, Los Angeles, London, Tokyo, Hamburg, and Zurich.