Niantic is seeking a Senior Engineering Manager for Niantic’s Lightship AR platform. We are seeking a leader who is a respectful and empathetic leader who is willing to go the extra mile for others, and cares about helping us create a diverse, inclusive workforce where we respect all and practice empathy at every opportunity.
You will manage the engineering team that builds SDK for AR. In this role, you’ll work alongside product managers, engineers, researchers and cross-functional stakeholders throughout the company, and get a broad view of Niantic’s business and products. This is a great role for someone who has been deeply technical with experience managing highly-technical teams.
- Engineering managers at Niantic are still hands-on but spend the majority of their time focused on making their teams work better.
- Prioritize and plan the work of the team in close collaboration with your engineers, tech lead, product managers, technical program manager, and other teams across the organization.
- Coach engineers on their day-to-day work and their career aspirations, conduct regular 1:1s for your reports, and evaluate their performance and set actionable goals that help them grow in the work and move the team and company forward.
- Recruit and hire great talent for the team.
- Help shape the direction of our tech stack for augmented reality applications.
- Identify business and technological risks/opportunities from internal sources and crafts solutions/responses to them.
- Collaborate with cross-functional team members and stakeholders to cultivate strong working relationships with project team members, including regular and reliable attendance and participation in meetings
- 5+ years of experience working as an engineering manager.
- 10+ years of experience working as a software engineer.
- Advanced C/C++ skills and/or C# skills.
- Ability to mentor/coach team members, lead by example and build trust and solid relationships.
- Prior development experience with one or more AR/VR runtimes such as ARKit, ARCore, Oculus, etc.
- Cross platform development experience.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced hybrid environment and handle stress appropriately and/or ability to solve practical problems and be sufficiently adaptable to handle dynamic situations with little advance notice
- Experience working on cross-functional teams with ability to communicate effectively through written and verbal communications, including synchronous interactions with other
- Experience working with Unity or other game engines.
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic is the world’s leading AR technology company, sparking creative and engaging journeys in the real world. Our products inspire outdoor exploration, exercise, and meaningful social interaction.
Originally formed at Google in 2011, we became an independent company in 2015 with a strong group of investors including Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, and Alsop Louie Partners. Our current consumer titles include pioneering global-control game Ingress, record-breaking AR game Pokémon GO, and Pikmin Bloom. In November 2021, we launched our developer platform, Lightship, enabling creators to build immersive AR experiences around the globe. Niantic is an Equal Opportunity employer.
We believe that cultivating a workplace where our people are supported and included is essential to creating great products our community will love. Our mission emphasizes seeking and hiring diverse voices, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry, and we consider this to be one of the most important values we hold close.
Niantic is a hybrid first company. We believe that in person interaction and collaboration is good for Niantic’s culture, and critical to our future success as a company. We support flexibility and know new ways of working are here to stay.
We're a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity and a passion for problem-solving! We have growing offices located in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Bellevue, Los Angeles, New York, London, Tokyo, Hamburg, and Zurich. #LI-HYBRID